Cooking a variety of delicious edibles is simple when you’re well versed in all the different basic infusions it takes to make them. Below, we’ll dive into making cannabis oil, cannabutter, and cannabis honey using traditional methods and the Levo infusion machine.
To make edibles, you must decarboxylate your cannabis by heating it gently to activate the THC. Once you have your decarboxylated cannabis, you can infuse the active cannabinoids to a fat. Cannabinoids need fats or oils to bind to in order to retain their potency, so instead of adding cannabis to everything you make and picking weed out of your teeth, it’s much easier to add it to butter, oil, or honey so you can use those in your recipes instead. If you have cannabis butter, oil, and honey lying around, the possibilities of edible infusions are virtually endless.
To start, you’ll need to decarboxylate your cannabis.
You will need:
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper or foil
- Oven mitts
- Cannabis flower
How to do it:
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees and set the oven rack to the middle of the oven
- Spread parchment paper over the cookie sheet
- Crumble cannabis flowers in a single layer on the cookie sheet and place in the oven. Pieces should be about the size of a grain of rice.
- Bake the cannabis for about 45 minutes. When it’s finished, it should be golden brown and lightly toasted
- Cool at room temperature and store for later.
Once you have your weed decarboxylated, the hard part is over. From there, it’s simple recipes!
How to Make Cannabutter
Cannabutter is THC-infused butter. To make it, you will need equal parts butter and decarboxylated cannabis (usually about a cup of each), a saucepan, a strainer or cheesecloth, and a glass jar.
How to do it:
- Coarsely grind your decarboxylated cannabis
- Melt a cup of butter in the saucepan and add a cup of water. Simmer on low
- When the butter is fully melted, add a cup of decarboxylated cannabis to the mixture.
- Maintain low temperatures between 160-200 degrees and simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Never let the mixture boil.
- Strain the mixture with a strainer or cheesecloth to get the pieces of weed out and allow the butter to fall into a glass jar below.
- Refrigerate the jar of cannabutter for an hour or more. If water forms at the bottom of the jar, separate the solid butter and dump the water out.
- Cannabutter keeps in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
How to Make Cannabis Oil
Cannabis oil can be made using a variety of oils, including vegetable oil, olive oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil, and other mild-flavored oils with high smoke points. To make it, you’ll need need equal parts decarboxylated cannabis and oil (usually about a cup of each), a strainer or cheesecloth, and a saucepan.
To make it:
- Combine your cannabis and your oil into a saucepan, slow cooker or double boiler. Heat on low or warm for a few hours. Never allow the temperature of your cookware to reach temperatures over 245 degrees.
- Strain the plant material out of the oil using the strainer or a cheesecloth. Reserve the oil in a separate container for future use
- Cooking oil is good for about two months, though this time can be extended by refrigerating it.
How to Make Cannabis Honey
Cannabis honey is a great way to make THC-infused confections that don’t call for butter or oil but do call for sugar or honey. To make some, you will need a cup of honey, an 1/8th of decarbocylated cannabis, a double boiler, a funnel, a cheesecloth or strainer, and a glass jar.
To make it:
- Combine the cannabis and honey in a double boiler and apply low heat on the stove.
- Simmer on low for 40 minutes, never allowing your cookware to reach over 245 degrees.
- Strain the plant material out of the mixture using the funnel and cheesecloth, allowing the final product to pour into the glass jar
- Store for up to 2 months in a cool dry place
How to Make Infusions Using the Levo Machine
If you want to save time on making these infusions, you can always rely on the Levo infusion machine. You can still make your own delectable edibles without all of the steps involved with infusing the oil or butter yourself. With the Levo Oil Machine, you can make your own butter, oils, tinctures, infusions, and more. It has an all-in-one decarboxylation solution, so all you have to do is put in your raw materials and wait. It’ll do the rest.
Making your own cannabis infusions is a great way to make a huge variety of edibles in your very own kitchen. Knowing these key recipes makes it possible to try a whole new world of edibles. Just remember to always test your final products for potency so you know how they’ll affect you before adding them to your final products.